In-Semester Impact Data Analytics Intern
Apply by January 31, 2022
Closed Loop Partners (CLP) is an investment firm comprised of venture capital, growth equity, private equity, and project finance as well as an innovation center focused on building the circular economy. We have built an ecosystem that connects entrepreneurs, industry experts, global consumer goods companies, retailers, financial institutions and municipalities. Our investments align capitalism with positive social and environmental impact by reducing waste and greenhouse gas emissions via materials innovation, advanced recycling technologies, supply chain optimization, and landfill diversion.
Our Impact Assessment team’s data-driven insights weave through the entire Closed Loop Partners ecosystem, both reinforcing and showcasing the meaningful non-financial returns that our investments generate.
Role & Responsibilities
We are seeking an in-semester data analytics intern to partner with investment team stakeholders and the Director of Impact to implement data management best practices across each investment vertical at Closed Loop Partners, starting with the private credit / project finance vertical. This candidate will help to 1) ensure the integrity of Closed Loop Partners’ impact data, 2) improve the quality of our data measurement and management processes, and 3) deliver actionable, data-driven intelligence to internal stakeholders. This candidate’s work will directly enhance the network of impact data that feeds into Closed Loop Partners’ annual impact report (see our 2020 Impact Report here).
The candidate will be expected to:
- Enthusiastically engage with stakeholders from each investment vertical, starting with private credit / project finance, to learn our current practices for impact data measurement and management
- Systematically, spreadsheet-by-spreadsheet, identify areas for improvement for both historical and future data capture
- Recommend consistent, formula-driven, sustainable improvements that will enable investment teams to meaningfully leverage the data going forward
- Integrate recommendations into each team’s impact data network
- Conduct data analysis (including visualizing, interpreting, and synthesizing the data) to yield valuable conclusions for the individual investment teams
- Proactively identify additional use-cases to maximize the value of our impact data (e.g. in the investment origination process)
- Create new impact reporting templates for newly launched funds
The candidate will also have the opportunity to:
- Research the latest industry standards for impact assessment
- Introduce and integrate new impact measurement frameworks into each investment vertical’s portfolio management process
- Evaluate investment teams’ non-impact data sets to identify opportunities to enhance our data collection and analysis processes
- Collaborate with investment teams to integrate data analysis into the investment diligence process
- Liaise with portfolio company stakeholders to simplify their data reporting processes
- Currently pursuing a graduate degree in a relevant field (e.g. computer science, data analytics, sustainability management, etc.) Exceptional undergraduate candidates pursuing relevant degrees are encouraged to apply
- Willingness to commit a minimum of 10 hours per week for at least 3 months with the opportunity to expand into a summer internship and/or a full-time role (based on performance and hiring needs at the time)
- Demonstrated experience analyzing and formatting data in Microsoft Excel required
- Experience with programming languages (Python, R, SQL, etc.) and data visualization software (Tableau, PowerBI, etc.) preferred
- Demonstrated ability to distill and communicate data-driven insights in a structured manner
- Energetic and enthusiastic individual with the ability to work on their own initiative with minimal supervision
- Strong analytical abilities, both quantitative and qualitative
- Strong attention to detail
- Interest in building subject matter expertise on impact assessment within the circular economy
- Commitment to the values and objectives of Closed Loop Partners
Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Closed Loop Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality or sex.
You must have US Work Authorization in order to be considered for any open Closed Loop Partners position and be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to your start date. Exceptions will be made for medical or religious accommodation.