Project Director – Center for the Circular Economy – One Year Contract
Apply by May 18, 2023
Location: New York City
Closed Loop Partners is at the forefront of building the circular economy. The company is comprised of three key business segments: an investment firm, innovation center and operating group. The investment firm invests in venture, growth equity, buyout and catalytic private credit strategies on behalf of global institutions, corporations and family offices. The innovation center, the Center for the Circular Economy, unites competitors and partners to tackle complex material challenges and implement systemic change to advance circularity. The operating group, Circular Services, has twelve recycling facilities in operation today, and provides holistic, circular materials management to close the loop on food & organics, textiles, electronics, packaging and more, for municipalities and businesses throughout the United States.
This role will be split across the Composting Consortium and the Consortium to Reinvent the Retail Bag.
The Center for the Circular Economy launched its in November 2021. The Composting Consortium is a multi-year collaboration across compostable packaging, and compost manufacturing value chains to pilot industry-wide solutions and develop investment recommendations that scale the recovery of food-contact compostable packaging and food scraps. The team is managing the largest in-ground pilot to test whether compostable packaging degrades at compost facilities; co-leading the first public-facing consumer insights research on effective labeling of compostable packaging; and working with 25 different Fortune 100, university, and environmental groups to build a tools and resources for scaling composting infrastructure in the US.
In 2023, the Composting Consortium will focus on analyzing organics infrastructure in the United States to develop an investment report aimed at driving capital to scale organics infrastructure and scale organics circularity. This 1-year contract will focus on the development of that investment report and offer the Project Director an opportunity to work with the Composting Consortium and other Closed Loop Partners verticals.
The Consortium to Reinvent the Retail Bag is a multi-year collaboration across retail sectors that aims to identify, test and implement innovative new design solutions that serve the function of today’s single-use plastic retail bag, delivering ease and convenience for consumers while striving to lessen the impact on the environment. The team has launched two pilots this spring, and this role will be focused synthesizing the insights learned from these pilots and setting the stage for future collaboration.
To apply, please submit your resume, work sample and cover letter below. Due to the volume of applications only qualified applicants will be contacted to schedule an interview. We carefully review each application. Please do not contact Closed Loop Partners or Center for the Circular Economy staff to request information or a pre-application meeting, or to follow up on your submitted application.
The Project Director’s Responsibilities will include:
- Analyzing quantitative and qualitative organics infrastructure data in the effort to develop briefs/case studies identifying successful policies and regulatory frameworks that support increased recovery of food waste and food-contact compostable packaging
- Building financial scenario models to analyze investment opportunities in US based on existing infrastructure data;
- Evaluating, collating, and benchmarking composting industry collections and sortation innovations and solutions;
- Creating frameworks that enable comparison and synthesis of composting collections and sortation technologies and solutions and products
- Supporting monthly stakeholder communications between environmental NGOs, Fortune 100 companies, compost manufacturers, and more;
- Working closely with the broader Organics and Composting team within Closed Loop Partners to share out insights and align on priorities
- Review and synthesize data and insights from two pilots into holistic story
- Create case studies and presentations to succinctly and effectively communicate impact and next steps from the Consortium
- Managing and prioritizing tasks and stakeholders across multiple projects
- At least three years of relevant work experience in management consulting, data analytics, finance, or economics
- Proficient knowledge and experiencing in Excel to build financial models and summary charts
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills and ability to evaluate complex, often ambiguous, multi-stakeholder challenges
- Ability to learn new subject matter areas quickly and distill complex information into key takeaways
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong writing and editing skills and experience in drafting concise and elegant internal and external facing presentations (i.e. PPT, Word)
- Strong organizational skills and excellent attention to detail
- A mission-driven team player with a passion for sustainability and the circular economy
- A dynamic, enthusiastic professional who can take both initiative and direction
- Recent Master’s program graduate or MBA graduate program
- 1+ years of experience visualizing datasets in Tableau
- Experience working with senior level clients on high-profile projects
- Experience in packaging or familiarity with the industrial material recovery industries (i.e. composting, anerobic digestion, recycling, etc.)
Closed Loop Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality or sex.
You must have US Work Authorization in order to be considered for any open Closed Loop Partners position, and be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to your start date. Exceptions will be made for medical or religious accommodation.
Salary Range: $150,000 – $180,000