COLLABORATING TO ADVANCE SYSTEMS CHANGE
Addressing the sheer scale of the challenge through collaboration
To accelerate systems change for the retail bag, Closed Loop Partners – with Founding Partners CVS Health, Target and Walmart, and joined by DICK’S Sporting Goods, Dollar General, Kroger, The TJX Companies, Inc., Ulta Beauty, Ahold Delhaize USA Brands, Albertsons Companies, H-E-B, Hy-Vee, Meijer, Wakefern Food Corp., and Walgreens – formed the Consortium to Reinvent the Retail Bag.
- $16,000,000 collectively committed to date
“This collaboration with Target, Walmart and other like-minded retailers and innovators allows for collective reach that can be truly impactful.”
“We’re proud to partner with Closed Loop Partners and other leading retailers to take on a challenge facing the entire industry. We welcome others to join us in this collective effort as we aim to design a better solution.”
Amanda Nusz, Vice President of Corporate Responsibility, Target
“By coming together to tackle the problem, we aim to accelerate the pace of innovation and the commercialization of sustainable solutions.”
Kathleen McLaughlin, Executive Vice President and Chief Sustainability Officer for Walmart
- Demonstrates collective commitment and ambition to move the needle on this waste challenge
- Reframes the issue beyond short-term fixes to long-lasting, systemic solutions
- Sends a unified signal, calling for transformational innovation to identify potential solutions to this long standing environmental challenge
- Provides a platform to develop holistic solutions that are sustainable at every step of the process – from production and use to reuse and recovery
Engaging the Ecosystem
The Beyond the Bag Initiative not only brings together major retailers as Consortium Partners, but also engages with stakeholders across the bag value chain, including suppliers, materials recovery facilities, municipalities, advocacy groups and others to support this collaborative approach designed to promote viable market solutions that can scale, and bring value to retailers, customers and end markets.