Closed Loop Circular Plastics Fund
Apply for Funding
The Closed Loop Circular Plastics Fund accepts applications on a rolling basis and provides flexible financing for circular economy infrastructure, technologies and companies that advance the recovery and recycling of plastics in the U.S. and Canada.
Why Partner with Us?
- Capital: We offer flexible and risk-tolerant capital through a number of different funding vehicles and capital structures, taking a long-term perspective on building resilient circular supply chains.
- Expertise: We leverage our team’s industry knowledge and combine that with our research and solutions practice through the firm’s Center for the Circular Economy to accelerate the flow of capital from co-investors, which in turn helps our borrowers diversify their funding sources and supports their growth.
- Network: We have built an ecosystem that connects entrepreneurs, industry experts, global consumer goods and technology companies, retailers, foundations, financial institutions and municipalities. Our borrowers get exposure to this network, cultivating synergies and facilitating potential partnerships that can help scale businesses, for example through feedstock or offtake relationships, among other things.
What We Do
We provide debt or equity investments in projects in the U.S. and Canada that target rigid and flexible polypropylene (PP) and polyethylene (PE) from post-consumer, post-commercial or post-industrial sources. Project types may fall into one or more of the following categories:
- Collection: New or expanded collection systems for PE and/or PP
- Sortation: New or expanded material recovery facilities that capture the targeted resins
- Processing or Reclamation: Facilities that intake separated materials and use mechanical, chemical, thermal or biological means to prepare the recycled materials into raw materials
- End Product Manufacturing: The production of products or packaging that use recycled PE and/or PP
- Enabling Technologies: Innovations that link nodes of the circular economy supply chain together, enhance the capability of processes to accept or incorporate more recycled resin and more
How We Do It
We provide catalytic financing to municipalities, private companies and non-profit organizations. As an impact-first investor, we offer a diverse range of financing alternatives. Our financial product offering includes:
- Bridge loans
- Secured loans
- Unsecured loans
- Revolving credit facilities
- Asset based loans
- Venture debt
- Mezzanine debt
- Equity, as a follow-on to a lead equity investor
- Average investment period: 3 to 5 years (excluding bridge loans)
- Minimum investment size: $1 million
Our Investment Criteria
Applications are evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Project must be based in the U.S. or Canada
- Greenhouse gas emissions reduced/avoided
- Mass of materials impacted (e.g., diverted from disposal, recovered for recycling, incorporated into new products, etc.)
- Applicant’s ability to repay (for debt financing)
- Replicability and scalability of the project or model
- Amount of increase in access to or participation in recycling
- Ability for the applicant and/or project to leverage additional sources of capital
How Our Evaluation Process Works
- Applicant completes our online application form
- Our team evaluates the application against our criteria to determine potential fit
- We further evaluate the operational and financial details of the project and decide whether to proceed with funding
- If we decide to proceed with funding, we develop deal terms and present the deal to our advisory board and investment committee
- If approved, we proceed to close the deal and fund the project
What You Get, If Approved
Capital (with potential for follow-on investment), support and advice from our experts who hold 200+ years combined industry and financial experience, access and exposure to our investor network, and high-visibility opportunities to promote your project through our various social and media channels.